Quote:

Live, Laugh, Love!

About Me

My photo
I'm Nicole but I preferred to be called Nikki. I'm at freshman at Salem State and am majoring in Special Education and psychology. I have always wanted to be a teacher ever since I was a little kid. I love kids and being around them is always a good thing. I babysit quite often and enjoy every second. Anything you want to know, feel free to ask! :]

Monday, February 28, 2011

Gender Bias in schools

Does gender bias play a role in today’s society when it comes to education? I believe that it does. And it is in every classroom whether it is noticed or not. In my own opinion I feel that in the early ages of life the teacher can play a role in eliminating gender bias by asking both boys and girls the same amount of questions and not different levels of difficulty. I feel that all of the students start as being “equal” and that all of the students are treated the same. In the elementary setting there aren’t many cases where one student can do something that the other can’t. And at that age it isn’t as much about the work itself but learning how to get along with each other and how everyone should be treated equal.

When the age moves to around 12 or 13 and in middle school I believe that that is when we can start to see more gender bias. The boys and girls start to separate and what they want out of school become clearer. I believe this is when the teachers start to favor the boys because they want them to do good in school and in order for them to do good then they need to be asked questions and included in class. The teachers feel like they should ask the boys harder questions to get them thinking and being apart of the class and while this is happening the girls are sitting back and being quiet.

There are statistics from the AAUW studies who point out different facts about girls. There are more girls who are likely to finish High school and although boys do better in math and science girls out do boys when it comes to writing and reading tests.

No comments: