Quote:

Live, Laugh, Love!

About Me

My photo
I'm Nicole but I preferred to be called Nikki. I'm at freshman at Salem State and am majoring in Special Education and psychology. I have always wanted to be a teacher ever since I was a little kid. I love kids and being around them is always a good thing. I babysit quite often and enjoy every second. Anything you want to know, feel free to ask! :]

Monday, February 21, 2011

Should Hugs and High Fives be banned in schools?

School's are beginning to ban more and more things as time goes on. Now school's are banning cell phones, ipods, different articles of clothing. And now some schools are going as far as banning hugs and high fives.

Is banning Hugs and High Fives going a little bit overboard? I think that schools should not be able to ban hugs and hugh fives. They can have "rules" suggesting what is okay and what is not for a school, but to say you can't give your friend a high five or your best friend a hug is a little bit dramatic in my own opinion. Hugs and High fives are ways of showing other people that you care, and sometimes it's easier to just give a high five than to talk to someone.

I do agree with some of the teachers that there are different types of hugs and that some of them stretch from a friendly hug to a little more than that. But that is where there are rules on what kind of hugs are allowed at the school. I believe that kids and students should be allowed to hug each other as long as it is appropriate and they are pushing the boundaries.

The Today Show put a poll on whether banning hugs and holding hands is going to far with schools. The results were that 84% said that yes they are going to far, and 16% said that no they aren't. A lot of people are saying that hugs are inappropriate.

http://education-portal.com/articles/Hugs_and_High_Fives_Banned_in_School.htmlpropriate for a school community.


No comments: